Finley Purple Group
About this group type
This is a competitive training group for ages 10 - 13 designed to prepare swimmers for state and regional levels of competition.
The emphasis of the Purple group is on mastering the following skills necessary to be successful competitive swimmers – training etiquette, advanced stroke mechanics, race strategies, goal setting, proper nutrition, mental preparation, and the ability to handle increasing training workloads.
Swimmers will participate in a dryland program to help develop core body strength, basic strength in the shoulders and legs, and overall body control and coordination.
Only swimmers ages 10-13 will be evaluated for the Purple group. Swimmers who will turn 10 within 3 months of the evaluation date may be evaluated at the discretion of the coaching staff.
To be considered for placement into the Purple group swimmers must first be able to complete the Goals of the White Group. In addition, swimmers must be able to complete each of the following training sets and performance criteria:
- 10 x 100 Free on 1:35 (SCY)
- 8 x 100 IM on 1:50 (SCY)
- 10 x 50 Choice Kick on 1:05 (SCY)
Swimmers in the Purple group are required to attend five out of six practices offered per week. Athletes who fail to meet this requirement, evaluated over each month, will be moved to the group that best matches their ability level.
Swimmers are required to participate in at least one meet per month. Swimmers are also expected to attend the highest-level championship meet they qualify for at the end of both the short and long-course seasons.
By the time swimmers move out of the Purple group, they should be able to complete all of the following:
- Demonstrate consistency in underwater kicking in a streamline body position off of all starts and turns
- Demonstrate a proven ability to listen to coaches, learn and make continuous effort to improve in all areas of technical, training and racing skills
- Demonstrate an ability and willingness to train and compete in all strokes and distances at the highest level possible
- Demonstrate a proven ability to maintain a positive attitude and focus during workout and has an understanding of how their actions affect their teammates.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of goal setting skills
- Demonstrate a commitment to attending all meets recommended by the group coach
- Understand and demonstrate the YMCA's four core character values